Monday, June 16, 2008

TOP 10 THINGS THAT SYMBOLIZE LESSONS I HAVE LEARNED FROM MY DAD

1. Holey garments and socks: FINANCIALLY CONSERVATIVE, growing up we all used to tease my Dad for wearing holey garments, socks, shoes, etc. This I did not truly appreciate until I had a large family. I find myself trying to make something due for a little longer to save some money. I had a good laugh at myself when I realized that I had been wearing my garment bottoms with a hole in it for a few months. I now know how much my Dad sacrificed in order to house, feed, and clothe all of us.

2. Worn Brown Triple Combination: SPIRITUAL DILIGENCE, if you went into my parent's bathroom growing up, you would always find a brown triple combination. He has always been an amazing example of scripture study. I know that he has a true love of the scriptures and especially the Book of Mormon. Today if you go into that same bathroom you will find a black triple combination that hopefully one day will be held together by a rubberband, like my Dad's.

3. Dollar Days Sign: ENTREPRENEURIAL SPIRIT, whenever I go into a store that has a dollar sale promotion, I will always think of my Father. We grew up selling things door-to-door, yard sales and helping with promotions at stores. Frequently, I get asked the question why so many of us have our own businesses. This is the reason! He helped us understand that we could do it!

4. Binoculars: LOVE FOR NATURE & SCIENCE, my Dad could tell you the name of just about any bird or plant. He took me bird watching, fishing, camping, etc. I developed a real love for nature. This is coming in handy with my boys.

5. Green K. Swiss Tennis Shoes: WORK ETHIC, my Dad used to wear an old pair of green K. Swiss tennis shoes to mow the lawn. There was always something to be done around our house and my Dad was always busy doing something.

6. Light Switch: CONSERVATION, anyone who has lived with my father can attest to his tireless effort to turn off lights. He also conserved when it came to the thermostat. Growing up, many a winter mornings you could find me sitting on the heater vent with a blanket. Porter has now taken over that position in our house. Sean calls me Jay frequently, but it is mostly when I am turning off lights.

7. Guckum Pucky: YOU ARE NEVER TOO OLD TO BE SILLY, my Dad is wacky! When you mix mayo and mustard you get guckum pucky. We ate it on ham. He had funny wacky phrases, like when we asked what we were going to do for FHE he would say, "Choose up sides and smell arm pits" or we would ask what is for dinner? He would say, "Stewed prunes and sour kraut" And who could forget driving in the car to California and not singing "Jumped on a chicken coup!"

8. Thrifty Ice Cream, Cutie Pies, & Totinos Pizzas: FAMILY TIME IS IMPORTANT, he made time for me even when he was busy and traveling a lot. Saturday Thrifty ice cream cones were the best! Cutie Pies and Totinos Pizzas were for the weekends when he was home. This was a huge treat to us!

9.The Old Brown Spinny Bar Stool: HONORING HIS PRIESTHOOD, this was the blessing chair growing up. My father has given me countless blessing. With nine children it was not a wonder that the stool wore out. He is an amazing example of honoring his priesthood.

10. Liberty Park: GOALS, how to set and achieve your goals. He had a contest with Michael, Me, Ritch, and Jen to get us to say our prayers and read our scriptures. If we reached our goal he would take us somewhere fun. I think that we went to Lagoon as the grand prize. It was this contest that helped me develop the habit for prayer and scripture study as a kid. I am very grateful today for those habits.

Thanks for making me who I am!

I wear my Jay badge proudly!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Wow when you spell things out like that...it makes you realize how many things we got from Dad... I was just telling Shane the other day about the goal-setting Dad did with us. I remember going to stay in the Doubletree Hotel for one of the awards. Such great memories!!

Sabra said...

what an awesome dad. hope you are having a great day.